Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pi(e) Day

Despite being in the midst of writing the fourth chapter of a five-chapter thesis (the first draft of which I'm submitting on Saturday!), I took the time to honor Pi Day today. (For those of you not quite so geeky, or who don't have friends who are: Pi = 3.1416. Today's date = 3/14. Get it? Good.)

I'd already made fruit pies and savory pies, so it was time to try something new. I chose the delicious-sounding grasshopper pie, which I'd never had before — though I do love me a grasshopper drink, which is comprised of creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and cream. The pie is basically the same thing, with the addition of a crust made from pulverized mint Oreos. It's definitely not a pie for the kids, since the alcohol doesn't get cooked off, and, in fact, you can still taste it faintly behind the strong chocolate-peppermint flavors. Oh, and there's also gelatin in there, so it's not so good for strict vegetarians, but it made the texture very interesting: creamy, smooth, with a slight bounce reminiscent of Jello.

Recipe to come shortly, as well as the previously promised complete pie post, once I get this paper written.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went out for pie on pi day proper, but celebrated this weekend with storebought cherry and apple caramel pies, a homemade "dessert pizza", and a huge brownie with the letter pi in mint chips on top. Yum!

Teresa said...

No rolling out the dough and having to worry about how it'll turn out? I can just go someplace and the pie is already made? After all the pie baking I've done over the last couple months, storebought pie sounds really good!